Wednesday, August 1, 2007

New Graphics Card



I'm what you'd call a "Computer Aficionado". I looove computers and everything that has anything to do with computers.
Since I left my computer in Benghazi for my family, I assembled a new pc for me to use heer in Tripoli. So far I've been using the OnBoard graphics, that was fine since I run any games on it. But very soon that's gonna change, there are tons of games that I've been dying to play, and now I'm gonna need a real graphics card to do that.
I've been looking at different graphics cards -I'll refer to them as VGAs from now on- that are available here in Tripoli. Right now it's down to either a FOXCONN 7900GS 256MB, an MSI 7900GS 256MB, or a ZOTAC 8600GT 256MB. I'm still trying to decide. I have a very good idea about the pros and cons of each, and I've read almost every review available for each, but it's still tough to decide.
Simply, the 7900GS is the better card for current and older games, but, in the -near?- future when DX10 games are released it will be outdated since it only supports DX9. That also means Windows Vista Ultimate is a little crippled since it uses the DX10 API.
The 8600GT, on the other hand, is a mid-range DX10 card. So it will perform a bit lower than the 7900GS in most current and older games, but that will gradually change as Nvidia update their drivers and as DX10 games are released. Also it has a much lower power requirement, almost half of that of the 7900GS. So I won't have to buy a "serious" PSU just yet.
Hmmmmm, I'm a bit reluctant, but I think I'll be going with the 8600GT. A good thing is that it has 512MB of VRAM, I know it doesn't make much of a difference for this GPU but at least it will make it more "attractive" when I sell it later on. Probably to buy a 8800GTS :D
Ok, that will be it for now, I know at least most of bloggers won't be interested in this topic, but I don't really care, this is for ME :D. See you soon.

No comments: